Thursday, July 31, 2008

San Antonio Riverwalk

San Antonio is one of my favorite places on the planet... well, I could be a BIT biased. After all, I was lived there from age 9-30, when I was drug kicking and screaming ( ok not really) to live in the vast wasteland of what is known as Las Vegas, NV. More on that later, I'm sure. Since that time, I have dreamt of moving back, and someday I will, but until then, let me just share a bit of my love for this gorgeous city and it's surrounding areas.

Unlike other parts of TX, San Antonio is rather hilly and can be almost sub tropical in climate. They can get a lot of rain and thunderstorms, but severe tornados are rare because of the hilly terrain.

Lots of fun things to do there, too.. There is SeaWorld, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, a few water parks, the Riverwalk, etc. Speaking of the Riverwalk, its a ton of fun. Go during the day with the family and have ice cream and a barge ride. Go shopping at the fabulous Mall. Go at night ( yes its safe as long as you stay on the main streets) and party at places like Dick's Last Resort, Howl at the Moon, Durty Nellie's, Iron Cactus or Mad Dog's or get your foodie fed at outstanding resturaunts like Boudro's, Biga on the banks, Schilo's, or Texas Land and Cattle. The holidays are especially cool on the riverwalk because they light up all of the abundant trees and have carolers on barges floating up and down the river. It's really special and not to be missed.

Out of town, you've got all of these neat little towns and villages all with their own history and flavor. There's New Braunfels and Fredericksburg, both originally German Settled and with a ton of history and culture. Fredericksburg is also known for its wonderful Peaches, quaint Bed and Breakfasts and unique shops and resturaunts. In Gruene and some of the towns around the area, there are tons of antique shops. Some of the towns even host Antique Weekends. In New Braunfels you'll also find Schlitterbahn Water Park and Resort. I'll tell you, this park is like none other I've ever seen. It is literally part of the Comal River and the water is wonderfully cool, clean and inviting. If you'd like to see a map of the park there is one here.

Well I guess thats all I have about my hometown for now.. I'm sure there will be more later! Ya'll come visit.

No comments: