Friday, August 8, 2008

Favorite Cruise things

The other day someone asked me what my favorite cruise line was. Well I have to say that I like different lines for different things, but my favorite would have to be NCL because just in general I like the way they do things. I love their Mexican riviera itinerary and their pricing is usually right on par. I wish they offered more Caribbean itineraries... Anyway, as far as ship architecture goes, Holland America wins the prize so far. Last year we were on the Oosterdam and she is gorgeous. Carnival wins is first in my book for activities. There is always something going on pretty much 24/7 no matter what your age or interests. Princess was high on the food category, but still not as good as NCL. Holland America's food was disappointing, so much hype about gourmet meals, but so many of them were bland and unimaginative with little likeness to the fluffy menu descriptions. Carnivals food is better than average, and they have a great menu with lots of variety.
NCL..well so far, they have won my heart. The french restaurant has a velvety chocolate mousse with Gran Marnier that absolutely melts in your mouth. We also loved the cheese plate that was very traditional with nuts and fruit and several different kinds of cheese. Holland America's cheese plate was totally completely awful. Only like 3 different kinds of cheese, apple slices ( whoo how exciting) and a few walnut chunks. NCL's main dining room was great too. We actually had a hard time deciding where to eat every night. The high end steak house was not a disappointment either. It may cost a few bucks, but it was soooooooooooo worth it. The memory of the bread basket alone makes me hungry!

No comments: